Sunday, May 27, 2012

RAW CAMERA FOOTAGE FROM JETTY 6 -May 26 1530


Ojibwa's departure was delayed two hours, most of the spectators had left and I had a plane to catch.  When I dropped Shawn and Brenda at NAD to pick up the truck, I was on my way to the airport with 1/2 hour to spare before check-in.  Since the harbour pilot had arrived I thought I'd take a chance and see if I would be lucky enough to be there when she let go lines..

Well I hung in and grabbed this footage (It's rought), jumped in the car and made it to my check-in with ONE minute to spare! It was worth the risk to be there.  Seems like there's been a number of close calls in this adventure.




Only a small bit of drama here. As the tug pulled away, we noticed she was still tied up with a 1" fender line.  You'll see it flash by when it parted  at one point.  Maybe I'm overly sentimental, but it seemed to me that Halifax was reluctant to let her go.

Well she may be gone from the east coast, but she's going to a better place where she will be wanted and cared for:  This is really exciting!!

ENJOY!!


3 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm Shaina with CBC News - we'd like to get permission to use some of this footage of the Ojibwa pulling away on the news tonight. Can you give me a call? 499-6170. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farewell to the old girl. I was baptized on the OJ, as were my two brothers. I have many fond memories of crawling through her as a kid while my father attended to one thing or another. Now, many years later, I too am a submariner having served at sea on WINDSOR and CORNER BROOK. I hope she is well received in her new home.

    Diesel Boats Forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. As second Mate (from Halifax area)on the Great Lakes freighter mv Algolake, I was on watch and had the privilage to see the Ojibwa as we overtook her tow on the St Lawrence river near Sorel, Quebec @ 15:20 hrs June 1st 2012.

    Frank Julien

    ReplyDelete